The Athens Banner-Herald is an under 20,000 flow  paper in Athens, Georgia, possessed by GateHouse Media.
The paper follows its history toward the Southern Banner paper that initially distributed on March 20, 1832.
In 1921, the paper converged with the Athens Herald to turn into the Athens Banner-Herald. Baron Braswell filled in as the paper's distributer, a position he held until 1965. That equivalent year, Billy and Charles Morris of Morris Communications obtained the paper. athens banner herald obituaries.
On June 17, 1965, the week by week Athens Advertiser changed its name to the Athens Daily News and turned into a seven-day morning paper, contending with the evening Athens Banner-Herald. Glenn Vaughn wrote in the Athens Daily News'' first publication page: "we will probably create a day by day paper that will be equivalent to this wonderful network." Lewis Grizzard filled in as one of the paper's first games journalists.
On December 24, 1967, the Morris family, which claimed the Athens Banner-Herald, purchased the Athens Daily News. The Morris family kept distributing the two papers, however in the end both publication staffs blended.
In 1991, the News and Banner-Herald moved into another office situated at the edge of Thomas and Broad boulevards. The structure is known as The News Building. athens banner herald obituaries.
In 1996, the papers began a Web page, Athenaeum. The next year, the paper began OnlineAthens.com, its present Web page.
In 2001, the News and Banner-Herald converged into a solitary morning paper under the Banner-Herald name.
The paper routinely wins grants in Georgia Press Association and Georgia Associated Press rivalries, including Story of the Year respects in 2002, 2004, and 2006.
In December 2011, Morris Communications achieved a consent to sell The News Building to Lulscal, LLC. athens banner herald obituaries.
In August 2017, Morris Communications consented to an arrangement to sell the paper (just as a few others) to GateHouse Media.